Can I discharge medical debts by filing for bankruptcy in Colorado?

Related Ads

Talk to a Bankruptcy Lawyer

Contact a Qualified Lawyer. Understand Your Legal Rights.
Zip Code:


Can I discharge medical debts by filing for bankruptcy in Colorado?


Many people are driven to bankruptcy by medical bills they can't pay. In fact, a recent study showed that more than half of those who filed for bankruptcy did so either because of high medical bills or because a medical condition had limited their earnings. If you're in this situation, the good news is that medical debts are wiped out in bankruptcy. At the end of your case, these debts will be discharged. this is true whether you file for bankruptcy in Colorado or any other state.

Certain kinds of debt survive bankruptcy, including child support, back taxes, and student loans (with a few exceptions). If you have secured debt (debt that gives the creditor the right to take property if you default, such as a mortgage or car note), you will have to stay current on your payments if you want to keep the property. You can wipe out your personal liability to repay these debts in bankruptcy, but the creditor will still have the right to take the property securing the debt. 

Medical bills are not secured debts, nor do they fall into any of the categories of debt that survive a bankruptcy filing. Once you receive your bankruptcy discharge, you will no longer owe these debts. 

Updated by: , J.D.

This site does not provide legal advice and users of this site should not interpret any of the information presented here as legal advice. The information provided merely conveys general information related to commonly asked legal questions. We are not a law firm and the employees responding to questions are not acting as your legal attorney. You should ultimately consult with a lawyer for your case.

Talk to a Bankruptcy Lawyer

Start here to find bankruptcy lawyers near you.
how it works 1
Briefly tell us about your case
how it works 2
Provide your contact information
how it works 1
Choose attorneys to contact you