How can I file an amendment to my chapter 7 bankruptcy?

Related Ads

Talk to a Bankruptcy Lawyer

Contact a Qualified Lawyer. Understand Your Legal Rights.
Zip Code:


How can I file an amendment to my chapter 7 bankruptcy?


If you make a mistake or leave something off your bankruptcy forms, you can file an amendment. You'll need to ask your local bankruptcy court whether it will allow you to file a new copy of the form with only the information that's added or changed, or whether you will have to complete the rest of the form again as well. 

When you find out your court's procedures, get a new blank copy of the form and make your changes. Type "AMENDED" at the bottom. Then, file the amendment with the court (along with a fee, if necessary) and serve it on the trustee and any creditors affected by the change. If your court requires it, you may also have to file a cover sheet or other documents with your amendment. 

Don't forget that a change to one form may require changes to others. For example, if you left personal property off Schedule B, you may want to claim it as exempt on Schedule C. If it's subject to a secured loan, you'll have to amend Schedule D as well as your Statement of Intention. 

Updated by: , J.D.

This site does not provide legal advice and users of this site should not interpret any of the information presented here as legal advice. The information provided merely conveys general information related to commonly asked legal questions. We are not a law firm and the employees responding to questions are not acting as your legal attorney. You should ultimately consult with a lawyer for your case.

Talk to a Bankruptcy Lawyer

Start here to find bankruptcy lawyers near you.
how it works 1
Briefly tell us about your case
how it works 2
Provide your contact information
how it works 1
Choose attorneys to contact you